WWW.PhillyJazz.Org - One of America's websites
JAZZ ORGANIZATIONS IN PHILLY
We used to have some really active organizations. Mostly due to political infighting, and a horrendous lack of organization and leadership, we now have very little representation. The Mount Airy Cultural Center has been doing it for a long time, and is probably the best role model for other organizations. I keep hearing from people who are looking to do something. I'm still waiting to see something done.
- MusicCares - The Grammy folks taking care of musicians all over America
- LifeLine Music Coalition
- Philadelphia Clef Club There has been a lot more activity here lately. 3rd Sunday of each month SHOULD see the Legends of Jazz Orchestra.
- Mt. Airy Cultural Center (Looks like the only REALLY active Jazz organization in town.) Maybe Germantown/Mt. Airy has a history of activism. Maybe it's small enough to be manageable. Maybe it's the dedication of folks like Tony Williams, Wes Norton and Mike Boone. We need more of these.
- Jazz Journeys Educational Institute (Philadelphia)
- Jazz Development Group
- Wharton Jazz Club
- Philadelphia Jazz Composer's Forum
- Tri-State Jazz Society
- PA Jazz Society
- Central Pennsylvania Friends of Jazz
First Presbyterian Church (Jersey)